To achieve your vision for the future, you need a disciplined investment plan structured around your unique goals and life situation. At Godfrey Pembroke, we’ll help you create a personalised plan designed to fit your lifestyle, investment objectives, time-frame and resources.
If your investments aren’t delivering the returns you expect, we can help get you get back on track, identifying underperforming assets and finding new options for maximising your growth potential without excessive risk.
Our investment philosophy
Our investment philosophy is based on asset class investing, recognizing that investment returns are determined principally by asset allocation and not by market timing or stock picking.
An essential element of our role as your advisor is to develop an investment strategy for your portfolio that maximizes the likelihood of achieving your goals and objectives. This strategy will include the most appropriate combination of asset classes for your unique circumstances, risk tolerance and time horizon, and is generally implemented via the use of low-cost funds, only available to large institutional investors or fee for service advisers, and only then after being accredited to recommend their funds.
This enhanced asset class approach to investing is a demonstrably successful and the most prudent way to invest our clients’ money.
In a world where most investors are guessing which shares, actively managed funds or independent money managers will out-perform from one year to the next; we believe that our consistent philosophy – backed by rigorous academic research and the best technology – provides our clients with a clear advantage.
In developing the growth portion of our portfolio investment strategies for clients, we primarily utilise the trusts managed by Dimensional Fund Advisors (“DFA”).
How we help
Our partnership is built on understanding. From our first meeting, we take the time to explore your individual financial and lifestyle aspirations. Then we follow a disciplined, four-step process to create a personalised strategy, tailored for you.
We begin by developing a deep understanding of the important issues that will shape your financial plan, including your goals, priorities, financial resources and attitude toward risk.
Next, we build on our understanding to create a personalised strategy, structured around your goals. In formulating your strategy, we’ll draw on the market insights and research capabilities of the Godfrey Pembroke network and the wider MLC group.
Once we have agreed on a strategy with you, we put it into action, creating a customised portfolio tailored to your needs.
We continuously monitor your portfolio to make sure you’re on track to achieve your objectives. Then we meet regularly with you and your family to review its performance, explore new opportunities, identify emerging risks, and understand your evolving needs.
Whilst we have a distinct investment philosophy which has served our clients very well, especially during the GFC, we recognize that some of our clients may wish to access other investment opportunities. We can help you explore a wide range of investment options, including:
- Direct equities. Customised portfolios designed to generate either capital growth or a tax-effective income stream, depending on your needs.
- IPOs and capital raisings. Exclusive investment opportunities from fast-moving emerging companies.
- Property. Residential and commercial property investments, including property held through a self-managed super fund (SMSF).
- Managed funds. Cost-effective exposure to a diverse range of assets through professionally managed funds, including wholesale funds otherwise unavailable to individual investors.
- Exchange-traded funds. Combining the flexibility and liquidity of shares with the diversification benefits of managed funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) are an increasingly popular investment option.
- Exchange-traded International Securities. Similar to ETF’s, Exchange Traded International Securities (ETIS) are ASX listed securities except they give investors exposure to individual shares traded on other exchanges around the world. Currently ETIS provide exposure to a number of shares listed on the New York and Nasdaq Stock Exchanges. ETIS are denominated in Australian Dollars, but the company’s US listed shares are denominated in US dollars.
- Fixed interest and hybrids. Often perceived as a purely defensive investment, bonds and other fixed-interest investments can also generate superior long-term returns with reduced risk.
- Capital-protected investments. Geared investments with the security of built-in capital protection.
- Structured investments. Specialised investments structured to generate income or capital gains over a specified time-frame, often with tax benefits.
- Separately Managed Accounts (SMA’s) that aim to provide individual investors with access to the benefits of portfolio diversification, professional management and administrative ease that are often only available to larger entities.
- Individually Managed Accounts. A tailored investment management vehicle combining direct share ownership with professional management.